Featured post

👉 Why I want to leave my stories behind

  Every person is born with a biological blueprint that helps shape who we become. But life is not only determined by our beginnings. Along ...

A Chilly Morning, an Elderly Gentleman, and a Reminder to Walk Carefully Through Life

 

2017 at Royal Caribbean

This morning at around 6:30, before the sun was fully awake, Julie went outside to bring the garbage bins and bags to the roadside.

I went outside with her.

It was a simple moment. I was not doing anything special—just keeping her company and helping a little. But when I stepped outside, I immediately felt the chilly morning air. My body reacted differently than it did many years ago. I felt the cold more quickly, and I realized I needed another layer of clothing to keep myself warm.

I came back inside, added another layer, and continued my morning.

A small moment like this reminds me that my body today is not the same as when I was in my seventies. I am still active. I still walk at Hillcrest Mall and Markville Mall. I still write, learn about AI, and explore new ideas every day.

But I also recognize the truth: my body is a little weaker, my movements are a little slower, and I need to be more careful.

A Moment at Markville Mall

Yesterday, while I was sitting at Markville Mall, I saw an elderly gentleman who looked to be in his eighties or older.

He was trying to move a chair from one table to another table nearby.

Suddenly, the chair slipped from his hands and dropped to the floor with a loud bang.

The sound surprised everyone around him. People looked over immediately.

Fortunately, the gentleman himself did not fall.

But that moment stayed in my mind.

A chair dropping is a small event, but it could have been very different. If he had lost his balance and fallen, the result could have been much more serious.

Learning From Others

This reminded me of my friend George.

George experienced falls in different places—once in a park and once at home. His legs suddenly gave way, and he lost his balance.

Recently, I also heard similar stories from some older friends in my parish.

These stories are not meant to create fear. They are reminders.

As we grow older, we need to respect our bodies and understand that things can change quickly.

A fall can happen in only a few seconds.

Growing Older With Wisdom

When we are young, we often think strength means pushing harder and doing more.

As we age, strength takes on a different meaning.

Strength means knowing when to slow down.

Strength means wearing the right shoes.

Strength means holding onto a handrail when needed.

Strength means asking for help when something is difficult.

Strength means taking care of ourselves so we can continue enjoying life with the people we love.

Julie and I need to be extra careful now.

We need to watch our steps, keep our home safe, maintain our walking habits, and continue supporting each other.

The goal is not to stop living.

The goal is to keep living well.

Walking Carefully Through Life

This morning's chilly air gave me a small reminder: every day is a gift, but every day also requires wisdom.

I still want to walk, explore, write, learn, and spend time with family.

I still want to continue my journey as a grandfather, a husband, and a lifelong learner.

But I also understand that the journey changes with age.

We may walk a little slower.

We may need more care.

But we can still move forward.

Life is not a race.

It is a journey.

And as we walk along this journey, the most important thing is not how fast we go, but whether we walk safely, thoughtfully, and gratefully.

— David Au
Grandpa Journey


Hashtags

#GrandpaJourney
#AgingWithWisdom
#GrowingOlderGracefully
#LifeLessons
#SeniorLife
#HealthyAging
#FallPrevention
#ActiveAging
#FamilyLove
#LifeJourney
#RetirementLife
#GrandparentsStories
#DailyReflections


一个寒冷的清晨、一位老人、以及人生旅途中小心行走的提醒

今天清晨大约6点30分,在太阳还没有完全升起的时候,Julie走到屋外,把垃圾桶和垃圾袋拿到路边。

我也跟着出去陪她。

这是一个很平凡的生活片段。我并没有做什么特别的事情,只是陪伴她,并帮一点小忙。

但是,当我走到屋外时,马上感受到清晨的寒意。我的身体不像年轻时那样可以轻松适应寒冷。我很快感觉到需要多穿一件衣服来保持温暖。

于是我回到屋里,加了一层衣服,然后继续我的早晨生活。

这样一个小小的时刻,让我意识到:现在的身体,已经不像几十年前的自己了。

我仍然保持活动。我仍然会去Hillcrest Mall和Markville Mall散步。我仍然每天写作、学习人工智能、探索新的知识。

但是,我也接受一个事实:

我的身体比以前弱了一些,动作慢了一些,需要更加小心。

Markville Mall里的一个小插曲

昨天,我在Markville Mall休息的时候,看到一位老人。

他看起来已经八十多岁。

他想把一张椅子从一个桌子搬到旁边的另一个桌子。

突然之间,椅子从他的手中滑落,掉在地上,发出很大的声响。

周围的人都被吓了一跳,纷纷转过头来看。

幸运的是,老人自己并没有跌倒。

但是,这一幕一直留在我的脑海里。

一张椅子掉下来,看起来只是一个小事件。但如果当时老人失去平衡跌倒,结果可能会完全不同。

从别人身上学习

这个场景让我想起我的朋友George。

George曾经在不同地方跌倒过——一次是在公园,一次是在家里。

他的腿突然失去力量,身体失去了平衡。

最近,我也从教会的一些老朋友那里听到类似的故事。

这些故事并不是要让我们害怕变老。

它们是在提醒我们:

随着年龄增长,我们需要更加了解自己的身体,也要更加保护自己。

跌倒可能只发生在几秒钟之内。

带着智慧慢慢变老

年轻的时候,我们常常认为力量就是不断挑战自己、做更多事情。

但是,随着年龄增长,力量有了不同的意义。

力量是知道什么时候应该放慢脚步。

力量是穿着合适的鞋子。

力量是在需要的时候扶住栏杆。

力量是在困难的时候接受帮助。

力量是照顾好自己,让我们可以继续陪伴我们所爱的人。

Julie和我现在需要更加小心。

我们需要注意脚下,保持家里的安全,坚持适合自己的运动,并继续互相支持。

我们的目标不是停止生活。

我们的目标是继续好好生活。

小心走过人生旅程

今天清晨的寒冷空气给了我一个小小的提醒:

每一天都是礼物,但每一天也需要智慧。

我仍然希望继续散步、探索、写作、学习,并和家人享受美好时光。

我仍然希望继续我的人生旅程——作为一位爷爷、一位丈夫,以及一个终身学习者。

但是,我也明白:

人生旅程会随着年龄而改变。

我们可能走得慢一点。

我们可能需要更多照顾。

但是,我们仍然可以继续向前。

人生不是一场比赛。

人生是一段旅程。

在这段旅程中,最重要的不是我们走得多快,而是我们是否能够安全、平静、感恩地走下去。

—— David Au
Grandpa Journey(爷爷的旅程)

No comments:

Post a Comment