After my recent eye surgery, I found myself with more time to think.
When you are temporarily away from the computer, you have fewer things to do and more time to think about the things that really matter.
And I asked myself a simple question:
Why am I still working so hard on Grandpa Journey at 80?
The answer surprised me.
I have gradually come to realize that I treat my blog almost like my primary job.
Not because I need another job.
And certainly not because I am trying to become rich.
I have enough to take care of the basic necessities of life. Of course, money is still important. We all need enough money for a safe and comfortable life.
But at this stage of my life, money is no longer the ultimate goal.
My priorities are much simpler:
Health.
Safety.
Happiness.
And the wellbeing of my children and grandchildren.
So why keep writing?
Because I have lived through quite a lot.
I grew up in post-war Hong Kong. I went to La Salle College. I worked through different companies and different stages of life. I came to Canada, started over, experienced successes and disappointments, raised a family, lost someone very dear to me, retired, and then discovered that retirement did not mean I had to stop learning.
There are many stories in my head.
Some are important. Some are funny. Some are painful. Some may be useful to somebody else.
I don't want them to disappear with me.
That is one reason I started writing.
There is also an old Chinese idea that has been in my mind for many years:
積德 — jak tak.
It is often understood as accumulating virtue through good deeds.
I don't claim to be a particularly virtuous person. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life.
But I do believe that if something I write can help a family member, a friend, another senior, or perhaps even someone from the next generation, then that is something worthwhile.
That is what I hope Grandpa Journey can become.
What about money?
I have Buy Me a Coffee. I have advertising space. Occasionally, someone may decide to support what I am doing.
I appreciate it.
But I have reached a point where I see the money differently.
Money is a symbol of acceptance, not a necessity for my purpose.
If somebody gives me a dollar, five dollars, or buys an advertising space, I don't look at it simply as income.
I see it as someone saying:
“Grandpa, I appreciate what you are doing.”
And honestly, even a big thumbs-up can mean a lot to me.
So I am not going to measure the success of Grandpa Journey by how much money it makes.
I will measure it by whether the stories are worth reading, whether they preserve something from my generation, and whether they leave something useful behind.
At 80, perhaps that is a better definition of success.
I want to keep enough money to live.
Enough health to enjoy life.
Enough happiness to appreciate it.
And enough time to leave something behind.
That is what really drives Grandpa Journey.
And if, somewhere along the way, one of my grandchildren—or someone I have never met—reads one of my stories and thinks, “That was worth reading,” then Grandpa will consider the journey worthwhile.
A big 👍 is welcome.
It may be worth more to me than you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment