For quite some time, I have had a collection of videos sitting quietly on YouTube.
I made many of them over the years, mostly recording ordinary things in my life—family moments, trips, cruises, holidays, places we visited, little projects around the house, and sometimes just something that I thought was interesting enough to record.
At the time, I never imagined that these videos might one day become part of my story.
I simply made them and put them on YouTube.
Now, looking back at them as a grandfather and retiree, I see them differently.
They are not just videos anymore.
They are pieces of my life.
Why I Never Thought About an Archive Before
When I started blogging, my attention was mainly on writing new stories.
There was always something new to talk about.
A morning walk with Julie.
A cup of coffee at the mall.
A family visit.
A trip.
A conversation about AI.
Something happening on my blogs.
And then, quite unexpectedly, my blogs began attracting more readers.
That made me look back at some of the things I had already created.
I realized something rather obvious:
Why keep all those old videos buried inside YouTube when they could help tell the story of my life?
Some of those videos are many years old.
The technology has changed.
My appearance has changed.
Our lives have changed.
But that is exactly what makes them interesting.
They show life as it really was at the time.
One Video Is a Memory. 120 Videos Are a Story.
This is the part that interests me most.
One old video by itself may not mean very much.
But put 120 of them together and something different happens.
They begin to form a kind of visual autobiography.
I may have forgotten some of the details of a trip, a holiday, a cruise or a family event.
But when I watch an old video, suddenly I remember.
"Oh, yes. I remember that place."
"Look how young we were!"
"I had completely forgotten about this."
That is the wonderful thing about video.
A photograph can remind you of a moment.
A video can bring the moment back to life.
You hear the voices.
You see the surroundings.
You watch people moving around.
Sometimes you even hear yourself saying something you had completely forgotten.
So I Am Going to Try Something New
I am thinking of creating an archive of my 120 YouTube videos on Grandpa Journey.
I don't want to simply make a page containing 120 YouTube links.
That would be more like a storage box.
Instead, I would like to give each group of videos a little context.
For example, there could be sections such as:
Family & Everyday Life
The ordinary moments that eventually become precious memories.
Travels & Cruises
Places we visited and experiences from our travels.
Holidays & Celebrations
The occasions that brought family and friends together.
Projects Around the House
Those little projects that seemed important enough to film at the time.
Grandpa's Memories
Videos that don't necessarily fit into a category but tell something about the person I was and the life I lived.
And perhaps there will be a few surprises along the way.
I honestly don't remember everything that is in those 120 videos.
That may actually make the project more fun.
This Is Not About Making Perfect Videos
I want to make one thing clear.
These are not professional productions.
They were made by an ordinary person recording his ordinary life.
Some may have shaky camera work.
Some may have imperfect sound.
Some may look very old-fashioned compared with today's videos.
That's okay.
In fact, I think that is part of their charm.
I don't want to go back and make them look like they were produced yesterday.
I want readers to see them as they really were.
They are historical records of my little corner of the world.
AI May Help Me Do This
There is another interesting part of this project.
I probably would not have thought seriously about organizing all these videos without AI.
Now I can sit down with my AI companion and say:
"Here is another old video. What story does this tell?"
AI can help me organize the videos, suggest categories, write descriptions and perhaps help me connect an old video with a story I have already written.
But the memories themselves are mine.
AI wasn't there when I took the video.
I was.
And that distinction is important to me.
AI can help me organize my memories.
It cannot replace the memories.
A Grandfather's Video Time Capsule
Perhaps the best way to describe what I am creating is a video time capsule.
Imagine a reader discovering Grandpa Journey several years from now.
They may read one of my stories about a family trip.
Then they see an old video connected to that story.
They click it.
Suddenly they are looking at something I recorded years earlier.
That is much more personal than simply reading a paragraph about the trip.
It gives the story another dimension.
And perhaps one day my grandchildren will look at these videos differently too.
They won't just see Grandpa as the person they know today.
They will see a younger version of him.
They will see the places he visited.
They will hear his voice.
They will see ordinary days that nobody thought would become memories.
I Don't Know Exactly Where This Will Lead
And that is perfectly fine.
I have learned not to plan everything too far ahead.
My blog itself has evolved in ways I never expected.
What started as writing has gradually become a mixture of stories, photographs, videos, memories, family history and now conversations with AI.
So I am going to give this video archive a try.
Maybe it will become an important part of Grandpa Journey.
Maybe readers will enjoy discovering these old videos.
Or maybe I will simply enjoy watching them again myself.
Either way, I think it is worth doing.
Because at my age, I have learned something rather simple:
The ordinary moments we almost forget are often the moments worth preserving.
And perhaps those 120 videos have been waiting patiently all these years for someone to open the box.
I think I am finally going to open it.
— Grandpa
P.S. The Videos Archive is an on going project.
I would start small one step at a time.
Hashtags:
#GrandpaJourney #MyLifeStory #LifeMemories #VideoArchive #VisualAutobiography #YouTubeVideos #FamilyMemories #TravelMemories #RetirementLife #GrandpaStories #DigitalMemories #LifeAfterRetirement #MemoriesWorthKeeping #Storytelling #AIAndLife
我有120个YouTube视频,也许是时候给它们一个“家”了
这些年来,我在YouTube上放了大约120个视频。
它们一直安安静静地躺在那里。
这些视频大多是我过去拍下来的生活片段——家庭生活、旅行、邮轮、假期、家里的一些小工程,还有一些当时觉得值得记录的事情。
那个时候,我从来没有想过,这些视频有一天会成为我人生故事的一部分。
我只是拍下来,然后放到YouTube上。
可是现在,作为一个退休的爷爷,再回头看看这些视频,我有了完全不同的感觉。
它们已经不只是视频了。
它们是我生活的一部分。
为什么以前从来没有想过要做一个档案?
开始写博客以后,我的注意力一直放在新的故事上。
每天总有新的事情可以写。
和Julie一起早上散步。
在商场喝一杯咖啡。
和家人见面。
一次旅行。
一段关于AI的对话。
或者生活中突然发生的一件小事。
而最近,我的博客开始有越来越多的读者。
这让我开始回头看看自己过去已经做过的东西。
然后我突然想到一个很简单的问题:
为什么要让这120个旧视频一直埋在YouTube里面,而不能让它们帮助我讲述自己的人生故事呢?
其中有些视频已经是很多年前拍的。
那个时候的科技不同了。
我的样子不同了。
我们的生活也不同了。
但也正因为如此,它们才有意思。
它们记录的是当时真实的生活。
一个视频是一段回忆,120个视频就是一个故事
这是最让我感兴趣的地方。
一个旧视频单独来看,可能没有什么特别。
但是把120个视频放在一起,感觉就完全不同了。
它们慢慢形成了一种视觉自传。
有些旅行的细节,我可能早就忘记了。
有些家庭活动,我也可能记不起当时发生了什么。
可是,当我重新打开一个旧视频……
“啊,对了!我记得这个地方。”
“你看,我们那时候这么年轻!”
“这个事情我完全忘记了!”
这就是视频最特别的地方。
照片可以让你想起一个时刻。
视频却可以把那个时刻重新带回来。
你可以听到当时的声音。
看到当时的环境。
看到人们走动、说话。
有时候甚至会听到自己说出一些已经完全忘记的话。
所以,我决定试试看
我正在考虑在Grandpa Journey里建立一个属于自己的120个YouTube视频档案。
我不想只是简单地做一个页面,放上120个YouTube链接。
那样比较像一个储藏室。
我更希望给这些视频一些背景和故事。
例如,可以分成几个部分:
家庭与日常生活
那些当时看起来很普通,后来却变得珍贵的生活片段。
旅行与邮轮
我们去过的地方,以及旅途中留下来的回忆。
节日与庆祝活动
那些让家人和朋友聚在一起的特别日子。
家里的小工程
那些当时觉得值得拍下来记录的小项目。
爷爷的回忆
一些不容易归类的视频,但它们能够告诉大家,我曾经是一个怎样的人,以及我曾经怎样生活。
当然,也许还会有一些意想不到的发现。
老实说,我自己都不记得这120个视频里面到底有什么。
这样反而可能更有趣。
这些并不是完美的视频
有一点我想先说清楚。
这些不是专业制作的视频。
它们都是一个普通人在记录自己普通的生活。
有的视频可能有点晃。
有的视频声音并不完美。
有的视频和今天的YouTube视频相比,看起来已经很“老”了。
没关系。
我甚至认为,这正是它们的一部分魅力。
我并不想把这些旧视频重新包装成好像昨天才制作出来的一样。
我希望读者看到的,就是它们当年的真实样子。
因为它们记录的是:
我生活中的一个小角落。
AI也许可以帮我做这件事
这个项目还有一个有趣的地方。
如果没有AI,我可能根本不会认真考虑整理这120个视频。
现在,我可以坐下来,对我的AI伙伴说:
“这里又有一个旧视频,你觉得它讲了一个什么故事?”
AI可以帮助我整理这些视频,建议分类,写视频简介,也可以帮助我把旧视频和我现在已经写好的故事联系起来。
但是,记忆本身还是我的。
AI当年没有在那里。
我在那里。
这一点对我来说很重要。
AI可以帮助我整理记忆。
但AI不能代替我的记忆。
一个爷爷的“视频时光胶囊”
也许“视频时光胶囊”是最适合形容这个项目的名字。
想象一下,几年以后,有一位读者来到Grandpa Journey。
他读到我写的一篇关于家庭旅行的故事。
然后发现旁边还有一个与这个故事有关的旧视频。
他点进去。
突然,他看到的是我很多年前亲自拍下来的画面。
这比单纯读一段关于旅行的文字更加真实。
因为它让故事多了另外一个层次。
也许有一天,我的孙辈们也会用不同的眼光来看这些视频。
他们看到的不会只是今天认识的爷爷。
他们还会看到年轻一些的爷爷。
看到爷爷去过的地方。
听到爷爷当时的声音。
看到那些当时没有人认为会成为回忆的普通日子。
我还不知道最后会变成什么样
其实这也没关系。
我已经慢慢学会,不需要把所有事情都计划得非常远。
我的博客本身就是这样一步一步发展起来的。
最开始只是写文章。
后来慢慢变成了故事、照片、视频、家庭回忆、人生经历,以及现在越来越多的AI对话。
所以,我决定试试看。
也许这个视频档案最终会成为Grandpa Journey很重要的一部分。
也许读者会喜欢慢慢发现这些旧视频。
或者,也许最大的收获只是我自己重新看一遍这些视频,并重新找回一些已经忘记的记忆。
无论结果怎样,我觉得都值得做。
因为到了我这个年纪,我越来越明白一个很简单的道理:
我们差点忘记的那些普通时刻,往往才是最值得保存的。
也许这120个视频已经安静地等了很多年。
它们就像一个被放在角落里的盒子。
现在,我想把这个盒子打开。
也许,是时候了。
—— Grandpa
P.S. The Videos Archive is an on going project.
I would start small one step at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment