G-JYHJ31CZKE When the Longest Queue Disappears: Remembering Chiu Chow Restaurantst潮州館 Skip to main content

When the Longest Queue Disappears: Remembering Chiu Chow Restaurantst潮州館

There was a time when going to a Chiu Chow Restaurant meant one thing—you had to be prepared to wait.

Reservations were rarely an option. Families simply took a number, chatted while waiting, and looked forward to a satisfying meal. It wasn't unusual to see a long queue stretching outside the entrance, especially on weekends. Back then, that long line was a sign of success.

Over the years, I visited several Chiu Chow Restaurant潮州館 locations across Scarborough, Richmond Hill, and Markham. Each restaurant was busy, lively, and filled with the aroma of traditional Chiu Chow cooking. It was a familiar gathering place for families and friends.

Today, every one of those locations has disappeared. When I drive past where they once stood, I see different restaurant names. Most still serve Chinese food, but many now specialize in cuisines from northern China, featuring bold, spicy flavors and hot pots that have become increasingly popular with a new generation of diners.

There is nothing wrong with change. Every region of China has its own wonderful culinary traditions, and the variety available today is greater than ever. But it also reminds me that restaurants, like people, have their own life stories.

Why did Chiu Chow Restaurants disappear?

There is probably no single answer.

Operating a restaurant has become much more expensive. Food prices continue to rise. Utility costs have increased. Commercial rents are higher than ever. Finding and retaining staff is also more challenging than it used to be. At the same time, customers' tastes evolve. Younger diners often enjoy exploring different regional cuisines, and restaurants must constantly adapt to survive.

Even a restaurant that was once packed with customers can eventually struggle if these changes happen faster than the business can respond.

Personally, I still miss many classic Chiu Chow dishes.A bowl of clear soup beef brisket, simple yet full of flavor.

Stir-fried baby oysters with scrambled eggs, a comforting dish that always reminded me of family dinners.

Sweet and sour crispy noodles, combining crispness with just the right balance of sweetness and tanginess.

And of course, Chiu Chow-style marinated goose, one of my all-time favorites. These dishes may seem ordinary, but they carry memories that cannot be found on any menu.

Looking back, I realize I miss more than just the food. I miss gathering with family and friends. I miss waiting patiently for a table because we knew the meal would be worth it. I miss the familiar faces of the staff who greeted regular customers with a smile.

Restaurants come and go. Buildings change owners. New signs replace old ones. But memories remain. Every time I pass one of those former Chiu Chow Restaurant locations, I don't simply remember what I ate. I remember the people who shared those meals with me, the conversations around the table, and a chapter of life that quietly became part of my Grandpa Journey.

Perhaps the longest queue was never just about waiting for food. It was about waiting to create memories that would stay with us long after the restaurant itself had disappeared.


Hashtags

#GrandpaJourney #ChiuChowRestaurant #TeochewCuisine #ChineseFood #TorontoFood #GTA #RichmondHill #Markham #Scarborough #FoodMemories #RestaurantHistory


当最长的排队消失后怀念潮州館

曾几何时,只要想到去潮洲馆吃饭,就意味着要有耐心。

那时候几乎不能预订座位,大家只能到现场取号,然后一边聊天,一边等候。尤其是周末或节假日,门外总是排着长长的人龙。能够排队,反而说明这家酒家的生意兴旺。

这些年,我曾经光顾过多家潮州館,从士嘉堡(Scarborough)、列治文山(Richmond Hill)到万锦(Markham),每一家都人声鼎沸,充满浓浓的人情味,也散发着熟悉的潮州菜香味。那里不仅是吃饭的地方,更是家人和朋友相聚的地方。

如今,这些酒家已经全部消失了。

每当我驾车经过它们昔日的店址,映入眼帘的已是不同的餐馆招牌。虽然大多数仍然经营中餐,但不少已经改为主打中国北方菜,麻辣火锅、烤鱼、东北菜、西北菜等越来越受到年轻一代食客的欢迎。

时代在变,饮食文化也在改变。

其实,各地的中国菜都有自己的特色,今天我们能够品尝到更多不同地方的美食,也是件好事。

不过,这也让我想到,餐馆和人生一样,都有属于自己的兴衰。

为什么昔日门庭若市的潮州酒家,最终还是一间一间地关门了?

答案或许并不只有一个。

这些年来,食材价格不断上涨,水电煤等能源费用越来越高,商业租金节节攀升,聘请员工也越来越困难。与此同时,顾客的口味也在改变。年轻人喜欢尝试更多不同地区的菜式,餐饮市场竞争也愈来愈激烈。

即使一家餐馆曾经天天满座,如果无法跟上环境的变化,也很难继续经营下去。

至于我自己,依然十分怀念那些经典的潮州菜。

一碗清汤牛腩,看似简单,却鲜甜浓郁。

蚝仔炒蛋,家常却令人回味无穷。

甜酸炸面,外脆内香,酸甜适中。

还有我最喜欢的卤水鹅,每次几乎都是必点的菜式。

这些菜,也许并不华丽,却承载着许多珍贵的回忆。

回想起来,我怀念的,其实不仅仅是食物。

我怀念的是一家人围坐在圆桌旁,一边品尝美食,一边分享生活点滴;怀念的是和朋友聊天说笑的时光;怀念的是服务员对熟客那一句亲切的问候。

餐馆会结业,店铺会易手,新的招牌不断取代旧的名字。

但回忆,却一直留在心中。

每次经过那些曾经熟悉的潮州酒家旧址,我想到的,不只是当年吃过什么菜,而是曾经一起吃饭的人、那些欢笑的时光,以及人生中一个已经悄悄成为回忆的年代。

也许,当年那条最长的排队,从来不仅仅是在等待一顿饭。

我们等待的,其实是一段又一段值得珍藏一生的美好回忆。


回忆曾经风靡士嘉堡、列治文山和万锦的潮州館。从排长龙到悄然消失,本文分享一位退休爷爷对餐饮变迁、时代发展与家庭美好回忆的感悟。

#爷爷的旅程 #潮州酒家 #潮州菜 #怀旧 #美食回忆 #大多伦多 #列治文山 #万锦 #士嘉堡 #粤菜 #家庭聚餐 #退休生活 #加拿大华人 #时代变迁 #美食文化

Comments

...