Featured post

👉 Why I want to leave my stories behind

  Every person is born with a biological blueprint that helps shape who we become. But life is not only determined by our beginnings. Along ...

A Good Lunch, Good Friends, and a Good Day at Markville Mall

 

This is one of Grandpa's earlier stories, revisited while Grandpa takes a short break for cataract surgery.

 


Yesterday turned out to be one of those simple days that I really enjoyed.

Julie and I went to Markville Mall for lunch with a couple who are friends from Hong Kong.

Nothing particularly extraordinary happened.

And perhaps that's exactly why I enjoyed it.

Sometimes, a good day doesn't need anything spectacular.

Good friends, good food, and a good place to sit down and talk.

That's enough.

Meeting Friends from Hong Kong

We invited our friends to join us for lunch at Auric King Restaurant inside Markville Mall.

It was nice to see them.

When you meet friends who come from the same place as you, there is always something special about the conversation.

There are familiar memories, familiar places, familiar food, and stories that don't need much explanation.

Hong Kong has changed so much over the years, but when you sit down with someone who knows the same places and remembers the same things, the conversation can quickly take you back.

We talked, laughed, ate, and simply enjoyed being together.

At my age, I have come to appreciate these moments more and more.

A Good Venue

Auric King Restaurant was a good choice for our lunch.

Being inside Markville Mall made everything easy.

We could meet there, have lunch, and then spend some time walking around the mall afterward.

I also like the atmosphere of having a meal in a shopping mall.

There is always something happening around you.

People are shopping.

Families are walking by.

Friends are meeting.

Some people are enjoying a coffee.

Others are carrying shopping bags and heading home.

It gives the place a lively feeling.

Good Food Makes Good Conversation Better

Of course, food is part of the experience.

But I've noticed something as I've gotten older.

When I was younger, I probably paid more attention to the food itself.

Now, I think more about who I'm sharing the food with.

A good meal with good company is much more enjoyable than an excellent meal eaten alone.

Yesterday's lunch reminded me of that.

We weren't in a hurry.

We could sit down and talk.

We could enjoy our food.

We could catch up.

And for a couple of hours, there was nothing particularly important that needed to be done.

That is a luxury.

The Joy of Simple Days

I've written quite a few stories about technology, artificial intelligence, blogging and my adventures with AI123.ca.

But Grandpa Journey isn't only about technology.

It is also about life.

My life with Julie.

My family.

My friends.

Our trips to the mall.

Our meals together.

The things I discover.

The things I learn.

And the little moments that I don't want to forget.

Yesterday's lunch belongs in that collection.

It wasn't a big event.

It wasn't a special celebration.

It was simply a good lunch with good friends.

And sometimes, that's exactly what makes a day special.

Another Memory to Keep

When you're young, you often think the important moments are the big ones.

A major trip.

A big celebration.

A significant achievement.

But as the years go by, I've started to see things differently.

Some of my favourite memories are actually very ordinary.

A morning coffee.

A walk through the mall.

A conversation with Julie.

Lunch with friends.

A laugh over something that probably wouldn't seem funny to anyone else.

These moments come and go very quickly.

That's why I like writing them down.

Yesterday, Julie and I had lunch with friends from Hong Kong at Aura Restaurant in Markville Mall.

Good venue.

Good food.

Good friends.

And most importantly:

A good day.

That's a memory worth keeping.

Grandpa Journey continues.